Certified Wild Mushroom Harvester (class I)
Earn the certification required to sell wild-foraged mushrooms to commercial eating establishments and markets in Minnesota by completing this 5-hour class.
You’ll learn the basics of mushroom identification, and how to collect, store and transport your finds. Also about edibility concerns and dangerous/inedible mushrooms. This class will certify you for the following edible species:
- True Morels (Morchella species)
- Chanterelles (Cantharellus species)
- Black Trumpets (Craterellus species)
- Sulphur Shelf (Laetiporus species)
Cost is $90.00 for non-MMS members and $80 for current MMS members. A $10 discount will be applied for previous MMS certification class attendees. If you’re not an MMS member, you can save $10 by joining now and then signing up for the class. Space is limited to 50 attendees and these classes fill up quickly. To reserve your spot, click on Register Now, and follow up by sending payment by check to the address provided in your confirmation email.
Mushroom Foragers and Food Service – Commercial Sale of Wild Foraged Mushrooms
In accordance with the Minnesota Food Code 4626.0155: Mushroom Foragers wishing to sell their Wild Foraged Mushrooms to Commercial Establishments must have successfully completed a course in Mushroom Identification, Traceability and Safe Food Handling and provide documentation of course completion issued from a Mycological Society or Academic Institute to the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA). See MDA’s wild mushroom foraging page for more information.
Email questions and inquiries to: John Lamprecht
About our certification classes:
- The MMS conducts two mushroom certification classes annually for edible mushroom foraging. This class covers early season species and the second covers late season species: Lobster Fungus, Hedgehog, Hericium species, Giant Puffball, and Hen of the Woods.
- Membership and active participation in our club’s meetings and forays will provide the level of knowledge needed for most to safely identify common edible mushrooms for personal consumption. This class is for those who want to sell wild (i.e not cultivated) mushrooms harvested from privately-owned land. It is illegal to collect mushrooms intended for sale from public lands.