2020 Marek Turowski Memorial Scholarship
In 2017, the MN Mycological Society and NAMA lost one of its most dedicated and beloved members, Marek Turowski. We mourn not only the loss of Marek’s great knowledge, which he willingly shared with others, but also his spirit, and love of the camaraderie of mushroom hunting (and eating)!
During his courageous battle with cancer, one of Marek’s goals was to attend the national NAMA foray in Cable, Wisconsin. Unfortunately, he was not able to fulfill that wish.
In 2018, the Minnesota Mycological Society (MMS) created a scholarship in Marek’s honor. We want to encourage and inspire members of the MMS to enjoy mushrooms AND the national community of educators and enthusiasts by giving them a chance to participate in the national foray.
Each year, this scholarship will enable one member of MMS to attend the NAMA annual national foray in Marek’s honor.
The scholarship recipient will receive:
- One year membership to the North American Mycological Association (NAMA)
- Priority registration for the NAMA National Foray October 8-11, 2020 near St. Louis, Missouri. Trout Lodge and Camp Lakewood is located in Potosi, MO, 75 miles south of St. Louis at 13528 State Highway AA | Potosi, MO 63664
Visit the NAMA website in early 2020 for more info: https://www.namyco.org/events.php
- Registration fee * (including all lectures and field trips, plus room and board)
* Does not include travel to the foray location from recipients home.
Applicants will submit a short essay, describing how attending the national foray will enhance their knowledge, understanding and experience of mushrooms and the greater mycological community. The winning essay will be shared in the MMS newsletter, as well as pictures and a brief recap after the foray in the newsletter and at a meeting.
To apply for the scholarship, please:
- Complete the scholarship entry form.
- Write a short essay. Tell us why you enjoy learning about mushrooms and how the national foray would be an important part of that. Please include your name and address on the essay.