2023 Marek Turowski Memorial Scholarship
Deadline: March 1st, 2023
In 2017, the MN Mycological Society and NAMA lost one of its most dedicated and beloved members, Marek Turowski. We mourn not only the loss of Marek’s great knowledge, which he willingly shared with others, but also his spirit, and love of the camaraderie of mushroom hunting (and eating)!
During his courageous battle with cancer, one of Marek’s goals was to attend the annual NAMA foray, held in Cable, Wisconsin that year. Unfortunately, he was not able to fulfill that wish.
We want to both encourage and inspire members of the Minnesota Mycological Society (MMS) to enjoy mushrooms and the international community of educators and enthusiasts by giving them a chance to participate in the annual foray by offering a scholarship.
Each year, this scholarship will enable one member of MMS to attend the NAMA annual foray in Marek’s honor.
The scholarship recipient will receive:
- One year membership to the North American Mycological Association (NAMA)
- Priority registration for the NAMA Annual Foray August 24th – 27th, 2023, in Hendersonville, North Carolina. Visit: https://namyco.org/annual_foray.php for more information
- Registration fee – including all lectures and field trips, plus room (double occupancy) and board
*Does not include travel to and from the forays location from the recipient’s home.
Applicants will submit a short essay, describing how attending the NAMA Annual foray will enhance their knowledge, understanding and experience of mushrooms and the greater mycological community. The winning essay will be shared in the MMS newsletter and the winner will be responsible for sharing a recap of their experience after the foray by way of a brief presentation at an MMS meeting and an article in the newsletter.
To apply for the scholarship, please:
- Write a short essay. Tell us about your involvement with MMS (are you a member, for how long?); and why you enjoy learning about mushrooms and how attending the annual foray would be an important part of continuing that education.
- Please include your full name, mailing address and email address on the essay.
Scholarship applications should be emailed to:
MMS President Peter Martignacco email@example.com
or MMS Vice President Kathy Yerich firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions can be sent to Peter or Kathy at the same email addresses.